MACE West 2019: Emberbright Returns!
Matt Holmquist returns to MACE West with the Living MACE campaign contest winner – Emberbright! What is Emberbright. A few years ago, we conducted a contest between some of the best GMs to create a world that MACE can call its own. Matt was the final winner and his world, Emberbright represents a collection of ideas from those in the contest.
Matt and JustUs Productions are continuing the development the setting that will act as our own living campaign setting. That means you can create a character for it at one event and play that character at other JustUs Productions events that host this living campaign. We are planning to run it in at least 3 different systems – Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and D&D 5e.
Matt will be running his adventures in D&D 5e.
Emberbright is a bleak fantasy world where humanity struggles as the subjugated species after a cataclysm of divine proportions.
A millennia ago, humankind nearly destroyed the world – an event later named the Unraveling. The greatest kingdoms lay to waste, and the largest race reduced to nomads. Those that did not devolve into tribal cults in the north, eeked out existence as servants to the Elf Mageocracy or as second rate members of the Ignis Combine. (Igni – goblinoid fire-elemental race). The gods, once protectors of man and their greatest strength, have gone silent. Lorekeepers of the remaining human settlements still espouse that faith will restore humanity to its previous glory. What few baronies managed to survive have started to form alliances. A rudimentary collection of city-states has laid the groundwork for the rise of the next great human kingdom. The balance of power may shift again. The Wizard Lords have enjoyed their time as the most powerful beings, and the Ignis Leaders would not give up their monopoly on trade and steam tech. What of the Icemen to the north… no one knows what agenda their seemingly random raids hold. The great cycle of the heavens nears another completion. What will the next thousand years hold? What part will you play in it?
Character Creation Guidelines
Here are are guidelines for creating your own characters for the Emberbright Living Campaign D&D 5e adventures. First, a reminder that this is a trial of home-brew characters so the rules may change between conventions and characters made during these beta phases may not be cannon after we finalize the rules. So please do not get too attached to these first characters.
- Characters will be made using the 27 point buy method. Normal restrictions in the Players Handbook apply.
- You must take the Class/Background packages for starting equipment. No Substitutions at this time.
- The races currently allowed are Human (and the variant Human), Elf (High and Wood elves only), Igni (Rules here), Forged (Rules here) and Dwarves.
- All classes in the Players Handbook are allowed at this time.
- All characters will need to be emailed to me by Nov. 1st. Once submitted and approved no changes will be allowed. Email them to me at matt.holmquist (AT) gmail.com with the subject Emberbright Character Submission and once I look it over I will reply with approved or any corrections needed questions/clarifications.
If you have any questions please feel free to email Matt with Emberbright in the subject and he will reply as quickly as I can and if needed I will update this with corrections and adjustments.